Wednesday 15 May 2013

A Little story about Honey Cakes




When I was a little girl, honey cakes were stocked in the pantry of every household. Moms, grannies and aunties everywhere would buy them in large packets and serve them with coffee, fruits seeds and nuts. Traditionally honey is associated with the Jewish New year which takes place in September. Everything honey goes during holiday season, from honey chicken to apple & honey tarts. But these little honey cakes were always there, you could immerse your teeth into these dense, spiced, sugar coated honey cakes and feel like home all year round.

Just before mother's day I felt like I needed a piece of home. Since my mom past away, mother's day is a bit of bitter sweet day. I love having my little chicken making drawings for me and getting wet kisses for mother's day. I love being her mom and that's the sweet part. But missing my mom, that's the bitter part. I thought about my late mom and needed a good cuddle. Honey cakes can't replace cuddles from mommy but they sure can make you feel better. 

So with this in mind I stormed the web and searched for the best recipe for my little honey cakes. All of that searching, planning, and shopping made me feel like myself again. 



But then again life happens to you when you are busy making other plans. Pulling my back was at the bottom of my list of priorities for mother's day activities, which is exactly what I ended up doing. All weekend I was useless and by the time mother's day came, standing in the kitchen was no option. My comforting mother's day honey cakes were gone. 

The light at the end of the tunnel came after mother's day. I felt stronger, had a free day and decided to go for it. Preparations commenced late morning and excitement was in the air. Beating, mixing, adding and refrigerating were a promise for success. 




When my little honey cakes were finely out of the oven they looked fantastic, just as they should, nicely cracked and sugar coated. I couldn't wait and had a taste. The texture was nice and crumbly the hint of spice was fantastic, but the unpleasant taste of the self raising flour was overwhelming. My lovely honey cakes did not come out as I hoped and I can't even start to describe how great the  disappointment was. After all my efforts I still didn't get my special Honey Cakes. 

My story today of little honey cakes will not finish with a recipe. However I promise not to give up, and give it another go with a new recipe and better, stronger results which remind me of home. 



Did you ever have a disappointing baking experience before? I would love to hear all about it. Looking forward to hearing from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment